6 dimensions of optimisation
Stephen Bounds — Wed, 06/06/2012 - 00:30
Pinched with gratitude from Bob Lewis and stored here for future reference:
[To improve] organizational effectiveness, [rank these six dimensions] in order of importance for each business function targeted for attention:
- Fixed cost – the cost of turning the lights on before any work gets done
- Incremental cost – the cost of processing one more item
- Cycle time – how much time elapses processing one item from start to finish
- Throughput – [capacity;] how much work the function churns out in a unit of time ...
- Quality – the absence of defects
- Excellence – [whatever makes the output of the process a desirable thing, ie features, flexibility, robustness]
If you want to know more, check out Bob's books. They are short and practical without the typical padding of most tomes.
Our expertise in complex systems analysis, combined with a deep understanding of technology and modern, agile management and leadership techniques makes knowquestion uniquely positioned to find strategic solutions to your tough problems. Contact us today.